The Red Lake Police Department is under the supervision of Public Safety Director Michael Burns, and is responsible for enforcing all ordinances contained within the Tribal Code. Ordinances are established by the Tribal Council for the safety and well being of all members.
The department’s jurisdiction extends to all boundaries, and includes the Northwest Angle as well.
The primary goal of the department is the protection of all residents of the reservation. In addition to law enforcement activities, the department all provides other services, including:
- School liaison officer for the Red Lake School District.
- DARE Officer to teach students to raise drug awareness and prevention techniques.
- Traffic safety officer to enhance public safety on Tribal roads.
- Security officers at the Red Lake Hospital.
The Conservation Department operates within the Police Department, and is responsible for enforcing all fish and game ordinances, as well as water safety ordinances.
The Police Department is located in the Criminal Justice Center.
Red Lake Law Enforcement Services
Red Lake’s budgeted sworn force of 38 and additional staff facilitate 24-hour dispatching and law enforcement response, 24 hour patrol, criminal investigations, traffic safety, game and fishing code enforcement, sexual offender compliance, crime victim services and community policing. Law Enforcement is responsible for covering 840,000 acres of Federal Indian Trust land, or 1,259 square miles.
Law Enforcement Divisions
- General Crime Investigations
- Narcotics & Gang Investigations
- Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Investigations
- Human & Sexual Trafficking
- Child Crime Investigations
- Conservation Enforcement
- 24 Dispatching Services
- Sexual Offender Monitoring & Compliance
- Crime Victim Services & Advocacy
- Game & Fish licensing
- Hand Gun Permit
- Community Policing Initiatives
Specialized Law Enforcement Services
- Search & Rescue Team
- Dive Team
- Emergency Response Tactical Team
- Drug Task Force Team
Dana Lyons Jr.
Bill Branchaud Jr.
Harold Graves Jr.
James Cloud Jr.
Child Crimes (FCS)
Arlene Red Eagle
Funded by CTAS
Crime Victim Services Supervisor