The Red Lake Legal Department was established in 1993 to handle general legal matters. The first Attorneys to serve in its Department were Shirley Cain, Esq. and Marie Butler, Esq. Other Attorneys included, Dave Harrington, Esq., Stacey Thunder and, currently Michelle Paquin, Esq.
The Legal Department provides:
- Advice to the Tribal Council, it’s Departments and Enterprises’ on legal and legislative matters
- Review, draft, and negotiate contracts for the Tribe
- Draft ordinances and resolutions for Tribal Council
- Legal representation in state, federal and tribal court
- Assistance to Tribal Secretary’s office in tribal code compilations and revisions
The Legal Department provides notary services to tribal members. The Legal Department does not provide legal representation to tribal members, however, we do provide information and referral.
The Legal Department also consults with outside legal counsel including: Holland & Knight LLP, Plumer Law Office, and Nordhaus, Taylor, Haltom, Taradash and Bladh Law Firm.